Sunday, January 27, 2008

Today's word from Diary: snow plow

1/27/2008
It has been snowing a lot. To go out somewhere in this weather is tough. Not only is it dangerous to drive, but there is also heavy work required to clear the packed snow off a car before driving. I saw a truck removing snow from the road. It is called a 'snow plow' - a vehicle or piece of equipment on the front of a vehicle that is used to push snow off roads, railways etc (Longman Online Dictionary).

I am surprised that main roads for cars are always clean even when there is heavy snow. Yet most pedestrian areas are still covered with snow and ice, thus quite slippery, except for parking lots for restaurants and stores. I heard that one of the differences between adults and children is whether one likes snow or not. When I was little, I loved snow. It was not only because I could make a snowman or have snowball fighting, but also because I just loved the prettiness of the snow. However, I am not as happy to see snow as I was as a child, though I still do like to build a snowman. Maybe I am growing up.

Snow plow from the news:
A pedestrian was killed in a fatal crash with a snow plow early Sunday morning, according to the state Department of Transportation. The DOT vehicle was clearing snow off the shoulder of State Route 26 just east of Othello when the person was hit just after midnight.
(KOMO TV.com from
http://www.komotv.com/news/local/14467852.html)

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites