Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Today's word from Diary: Perishable

1 /22/2008


I got up, brushed my teeth, and had cereal in the morning as usual. While preparing my cereal, I was reading the cover of the milk carton. I found the phrase "Perishable. Keep refrigerated" As a learner of English as a second language, I am always curious about the meanings of new words. So I asked my husband "What does perishable mean?" "Perishable means food that goes bad relatively quickly, thus should be refrigerated."

After I was done with breakfast, I started writing this diary, listening to my favorite Korean popera (pop+opera) singer Lim Hyung-joo. His voice is so clear, and makes my mind calm to help me start a new day. I looked up the definition of perishable on an online dictionary. It says "liable to perish: liable to spoil or decay (such perishable products as fruit, vegetables, butter, and eggs).[Merriam-Webster Dictionary Online]

Perishable from the news: Restaurants are currently reluctant to donate unused, perishable food because of the fear of being held liable. As a result, a lot of food that is still fit for human consumption is thrown out.
(WMBB-News13 From
http://www.wmbb.com/gulfcoastwest/mbb/news.apx.-content-articles-MBB-2008-01-21-0010.html

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites